The “Other” Vitamin E
“Vitamin E” is actually a mixture of tocotrienols and tocopherols, two forms of the same vitamin. Like tocopherols (the “classic” vitamin E), tocotrienols are also potent antioxidants that protect against lipid peroxidation (the damaging of fats by free radicals).
Research has shown that although tocotrienols and tocopherols possess similar activity, they work slightly differently in the body. The very newest research shows that tocotrienols may be even more valuable to good health than the classic form of vitamin E, tocopherols.
Actions of tocotrienols:
- cholesterol-lowering properties not seen with regular vitamin E (tocopherols).
- Tocotrienols reduce AGEs (advanced glycosylated end-products),
- encourage healthy blood pressure levels and arterial health
- support normal blood sugar balance
- prevent fat oxidation
Both gamma- and delta-tocotrienols are powerful antioxidants working at the cells’ surface. Evidence indicates that tocotrienols are absorbed better than tocopherols.
The typical recommendation is 140 to 360 mg per day. Most studies have used 200 mg daily.
Contains: Tocotrienols 100 mg ( 90% Delta- Tocotrienols and 10% Gamma- Tocotrienols)
Other ingredients: Rice bran oil, gelatin, glycerin, water.
Suggested Dose: 1 or 2 softgels, one or two times daily or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.
1. Kamal-Eldin A, Appelqvist LA. The chemistry and antioxidant properties of tocopherols and tocotrienols. Lipids 1996;31:671–701 [review].
2. Kamat JP, Devasagayam TPA. Tocotrienols from palm oil as potent inhibitors of lipid peroxidation and protein oxidation in rat brain mitochondria. Neurosci Lett 1995;195:179–82.
3. Sen CK, Khanna S, Roy S. Tocotrienols: Vitamin E beyond tocopherols. Life Sci. 2006;78:2088-98.
4.) Schaffer S, Muller WE, and Eckert GP. Tocotrienols: constitutional effects in aging and disease. J Nutr. 2005;135:151-4.
5.) Theriault A, Chao JT, Wang Q, et al. Tocotrienol: a review of its therapeutic potential. Clin Biochem 1999;32:309–19 [review].
Natural Support For Healthy Blood Sugar Levels
Ultrachrome is a superior form of chromium (4-oxopyridine, 2,6-dicarboxlate) that has the greatest effect on adipose (fat) tissue and insulin levels. It is three times more potent than chromium picolinate.
Ultra Chrome 500
Each Capsule contains: 500 mcg chromium as Ultrachrome.
Suggested dose 1 Capsule per day.
Description- A Superior “senior” herb formula with ginkgo, hypericum & ginseng. High-potency liquid tincture. For depression, age-related memory changes, erectile dysfunction.
Contains: Ginkgo biloba, Hypericum, (St. John’s Wort) Eleutherococcus senticosis (Siberian ginseng).
Suggested dose 60-80 drops, 2-4 times per day. Must be used for at least 3 weeks before results become apparent.
Natural Support For This Embarrassing Problem
Inability to completely control the flow of urine is a common complaint, effecting up to twenty million Americans. Symptoms may range from a mild inability to hold urine when coughing or laughing to inability to hold urine at any time. The condition occurs in both men and women, although women and elderly people are more commonly afflicted.
Causes of urinary incontinence include weak pelvic floor muscle tone, weak urethral (bladder) muscle tone, medication side-effects, nerve damage, food allergy, urinary tract irritation (from drugs, foods, bacteria, viruses, fungi), imbalanced pH, and increased intestinal permeability. Some of the drugs used to treat incontinence have dangerous side-effects and should be avoided if at all possible. Self-help measures prove highly valuable.
Diet And Lifestyle Recommendations
- Finish daily water intake by 5 p.m. (This helps decrease nighttime urination). DO NOT, however, decrease daily water intake. Drink 64 ounces of pure water daily. Dehydration predisposes to urinary tract infections.
- Eliminate known food allergens (which can irritate the urinary tract and cause increased frequency).
- Check with your physician or pharmacist about any medications you are taking. Some can cause incontinence.
- Achieve and maintain a normal weight. Excess weight pushes down on the bladder and compromises muscular ability.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol, all of which increase urination.
- Practice KEGEL exercises: tighten muscles to stop the flow while urinating. Feel the muscles at work? Tense these muscles during the day, hold as tightly as possible for a count of 10, relax. Repeat up to 20 times per day. (Do these when you are NOT urinating. The first time is done just to “feel” which muscles are at work). You can do this in a car, in line at the grocery store, etc. You will notice improvement beginning in 3 weeks.
- Maxi Multi: 3 caps, 3 times per day with meals. Optimal (not minimal) doses of antioxidants (A,C,E,beta carotene, selenium), are particularly important in treating urinary incontinence.
- Saw Palmetto: 1 cap, 2 times per day between meals. [Target dose: 240mg per day]. Although best known for male prostate gland enlargement, this herb is useful in both men and women to tone the urinary bladder sphincter muscle. It also has a positive effect on male and female libido.
- Consider having a male or female a href=”http://184.108.40.206/product/compplus-hormone-profile-with-2-16-eq/”>hormone profile performed. Decreased sex hormones are associated with a laxity of the bladder sphincter muscles. Natural hormone replacement therapy can be very helpful in this condition.
Dr. Myatt’s Comment
The above-listed measures, especially weight loss (if overweight), Kegel exercises, saw palmetto and hormone balancing really do work to correct urinary incontinence, even in very old people. Start those Kegel’s without delay or excuses and you can get rid of the adult diapers!
“Chaste Berry” for Hormone Balance
Vitex, commonly known as “Chaste-berry” because of it’s effect on hormones, has hormonal effects on both men and women.
Vitex inhibits the action of male androgens (sex hormones). The name “Chaste tree” came from it’s use by monks to decrease libido. Vitex effects prolactin, the hormone responsible for making breast milk in women (although men have prolactin hormone, too). In very small doses, (120mg), prolactin may be increased in men. In higher doses, prolactin is decreased in both men and women.
In men, Vitex is used to treat prostate cancer because of its ability to inhibit male hormones and keep prolactin levels low. In women, Vitex has progesterone effects and is often used as a hormone regulator when more progesterone is indicated, such as in menopause.
The more common uses of Vitex include:
- Prostate cancer
- Female menopause
- Irregular periods
Recommended dose: 2 caps (500mg) per day between meals.
- Merz G, Gorkow C, Schrödter A, Rietbrock S, Sieder C, et al. The effects of a special Agnus castus extract (BP1095E1) on prolactin secretion in healthy male subjects. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 1996; 104(6): 447-453.
- Sliutz G, Speiser P, Schultz AM, et al. Agnus castus extracts inhibit prolactin secretion of rat pituitary cells. Horm Metab Res 1993;25:253–5.
- Böhnert KJ. The use of Vitex agnus castus for hyperprolactinemia. Quart Rev Nat Med 1997;Spring:19–21.
- Bone K. Vitex agnus-castus: Scientific studies and clinical applications. Eur J Herbal Med 1994;1:12–5.
- Milewicz A, Gejdel E, Sworen H, et al. Vitex agnus castus extract for the treatment of menstrual irregularities due to latent hyperprolactinemia. Arzneim Forsch 1993;43:752–6 [in German].
The Healthy Skin and Eye Vitamin
Vitamin A and carotenes are a widespread group of plant pigments that serve as antioxidants in the body. Vitamin A is important for bone formation, skin health, and vision. Deficiencies of Vitamin A are associated with night blindness, dry eyes, and skin diseases.
The optimal adult dose range is 5,000-10,000 IU. Higher doses of pre-formed vitamin A can accumulate in the body and become toxic. Carotene supplements are a safe and effective way to obtain vitamin A activity without toxicity.
Fish liver oils are a good dietary source of vitamin A.
Caution: Do not take more than 50,000 IU per day for 3 months without medical supervision. Pregnant women or women who may become pregnant are advised not to take more than 5,000IU per day of vitamin A.
Beta Carotene: Fat-soluble Antioxidant Vitamin
Carotenes are plant pigments with vitamin A and antioxidant activity. They perform many functions, including maintenance of eye health, cancer and cardiovascular disease prevention, immune-system enhancement and skin/epithelial health.
Dr. Myatt’s comment: Use only natural beta carotene. Synthetic carotenes have been shown to have negative health effects.
The Premier Fat-Soluble Antioxidant
Vitamin E is the primary fat-soluble antioxidant vitamin in the body. (Vitamin C is the primary water-soluble antioxidant). Vitamin E plays a major role in cellular respiration. Deficiencies of Vitamin E are associated with:
- heart disease
- neurological damage
- muscle weakness
- fibrocystic breast disease
- macular degeneration
- poor wound healing
Dietary sources of Vitamin E include: wheat germ oil, nuts, whole grains, egg yolk.
NOTE: Doses over 800 IU per day of vitamin E may elevate triglycerides.
Maxi Multi provides 400 IU per day of Vitamin E
Those requiring additional Vitamin E supplementation should consider Tocotrienols
Master Immune Stimulant and Antioxidant
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that plays a major role in numerous biological functions including:
- collagen synthesis (production of tendon, ligament, cartilage and skin)
- immune function – increases white blood cell activity, interferon production and thymic hormone secretion.
- cardiovascular health
- cancer prevention
Levels of vitamin C are quickly depleted during infection. Our vitamin C is specially buffered to reduce acidity.
Vitamin C Buffered Capsules
One full gram of buffered vitamin C in every capsule.
An excellent source of antioxidant support, Buffered Vitamin C uses pure crystalline ascorbic acid to supply 1 gram of vitamin C in each capsule. This well-tolerated vitamin C formula supports a healthy immune system response and helps maintain healthy skin, collagen, and connective tissues.
Each (one) Capsule contains:
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) – 1000 mg
Calcium (as calcium carbonate) – 20 mg
Magnesium (as magnesium carbonate) – 12 mg
Suggested dose: 1 capsule, 1-3 times per day, OR 1 capsule every 1-2 hours during acute illness, OR 1 capsule 3-4 times a day for accelerated vitamin C therapy.
Buffered Vitamin C Does Not Contain
- artificial coloring
- artificial flavoring
- dairy products
- ingredients of animal origin
Other Ingredients: vegetable capsule (modified cellulose), and ascorbyl palmitate.
Vitamin C Buffered Crystals
Description – High potency buffered vitamin Cpreparation in an effervescent, mineral-rich blend. Mixes easily in water or other beverages.
Each 1/4 teaspoon contains:
Vitamin C – 1066 mg
Calcium (calcium ascorbate) – 117 mg
Suggested dose: 1/4 teaspoon, 1-3 times per day, OR 1/4 teaspoon every 1-2 hours during acute illness, OR 1/4 teaspoon 3-4 times a day for accelerated vitamin C therapy.
What You Should Know (But Have Not been Told) About Your Drinking Water
- Water is essential for good health
- your drinking and bathing water may be contaminated
- water contaminants are linked to a wide variety of illnesses
- how you can protect yourself from impure water
Every Body Needs Water
57-70% of adult human body weight is water. Every cell in the body is dependent on water for survival and optimal function. Consider a few of the many important functions of body water:
- maintenance of normal skin tone (dehydrated skin appears wrinkled
- maintenance of normal bowel function (lack of water is a common cause of constipation
- maintenance of normal urinary tract function (lack of water can lead to urinary tract infection, urinary frequency, kidney stones and bladder cancer)
- maintenance of normal muscle tone
- maintenance of normal fluid balance (dehydration leads to water retention; sufficient water acts as a diuretic)
- maintenance of normal digestion (many nutrients are transported via the body’s water)
- elimination of toxins (lungs, kidneys, skin and intestinal tract all depend on water for eliminative functions)
- joints require sufficient water to make the “jello” (glycosaminoglycands) that provide cushioning
Your Best Bet for Safe Drinking Water
Your best bet for safe, clean drinking water is install an under-sink or countertop water purifier. The reverse-osmosis type is very reliable. If you don’t want to invest the money to do that, a simple pitcher with a charcoal filter is better than most bottled water. You can see how different systems stack up with this brand comparison chart.
And don’t forget your shower-water! When you’re hot (and your skin’s pores are wide-open), you can absorb toxins from the water. Shower filters are inexpensive and reliable.
For maximum protection, whole house water filters are the ultimate safeguard against water-borne toxins and impurities. These are not inexpensive but they offer great peace of mind.
A Good Water Filter is a Cheap Investment in Your Health
A reliable, highly-effective under-sink water filter is an excellent health investment, especially when you consider how important water is to health. The human body is about 60% water. That means we can have 60% of our total body weight contaminated with a variety of toxins if we drink lousy water.
The highest-rated water filters cost about the same as the cheap junk.
Aquasana Water Purifiers makes some of the highest-rated filters at the best prices.
Regular (annual) testing of your family’s drinking water is a wise investment in good health – especially if you are drinking municipal water that has been “treated”, flouridated and chlorinated! Well-water is also subject to contamination from a variety of sources and must be tested annually to ensure your family’s safety.