What You Should Know (But Have Not been Told) About Your Drinking Water
- Water is essential for good health
- your drinking and bathing water may be contaminated
- water contaminants are linked to a wide variety of illnesses
- how you can protect yourself from impure water
Every Body Needs Water
57-70% of adult human body weight is water. Every cell in the body is dependent on water for survival and optimal function. Consider a few of the many important functions of body water:
- maintenance of normal skin tone (dehydrated skin appears wrinkled
- maintenance of normal bowel function (lack of water is a common cause of constipation
- maintenance of normal urinary tract function (lack of water can lead to urinary tract infection, urinary frequency, kidney stones and bladder cancer)
- maintenance of normal muscle tone
- maintenance of normal fluid balance (dehydration leads to water retention; sufficient water acts as a diuretic)
- maintenance of normal digestion (many nutrients are transported via the body’s water)
- elimination of toxins (lungs, kidneys, skin and intestinal tract all depend on water for eliminative functions)
- joints require sufficient water to make the “jello” (glycosaminoglycands) that provide cushioning
Your Best Bet for Safe Drinking Water
Your best bet for safe, clean drinking water is install an under-sink or countertop water purifier. The reverse-osmosis type is very reliable. If you don’t want to invest the money to do that, a simple pitcher with a charcoal filter is better than most bottled water. You can see how different systems stack up with this brand comparison chart.
And don’t forget your shower-water! When you’re hot (and your skin’s pores are wide-open), you can absorb toxins from the water. Shower filters are inexpensive and reliable.
For maximum protection, whole house water filters are the ultimate safeguard against water-borne toxins and impurities. These are not inexpensive but they offer great peace of mind.
A Good Water Filter is a Cheap Investment in Your Health
A reliable, highly-effective under-sink water filter is an excellent health investment, especially when you consider how important water is to health. The human body is about 60% water. That means we can have 60% of our total body weight contaminated with a variety of toxins if we drink lousy water.
The highest-rated water filters cost about the same as the cheap junk.
Aquasana Water Purifiers makes some of the highest-rated filters at the best prices.
Regular (annual) testing of your family’s drinking water is a wise investment in good health – especially if you are drinking municipal water that has been “treated”, flouridated and chlorinated! Well-water is also subject to contamination from a variety of sources and must be tested annually to ensure your family’s safety.
The Skinny on Losing Weight for Good
Overweight and obesity have reached epidemic proportions in this country. The health hazards of overweight are enormous, and include increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, certain types of cancer, hormone imbalances, infertility, fatigue, and depression to name just a few. Regardless of your age, it is worthwhile to achieve and maintain a normal weight.
Causes of overweight are far more complex than simple overeating. (Although this will cause overweight!). Nutrient deficiencies, food allergies, low blood sugar, hormone imbalances, certain medications (especially hormones), food addictions and psychosocial issues can all play a role.
The “going line” from conventional medicine and nutrition is to eat a diet high in unrefined carbohydrates. While a few very high metabolism people and those who exercise extensively can “get away with” this kind of diet, high carbohydrate diets are actually the leading cause of overweight and obesity. High carbohydrates in the diet also accelerate the aging process and predispose to cancer, diabetes, heart disease and autoimmune conditions, to name just a few.
There are two basic strategies for losing weight: one is to decrease total calories, the other is to decrease total carbohydrates. The best examples of both these diets are the Pritiken and Atkins’ diets, respectively. Of the two, a lower carbohydrate diet is healthier for many reasons.
No matter what type of weight loss diet you choose, eating whole foods is important. Refined foods are devoid of nutrients but high in calories. Such foods provide enough calories to make one fat, but not enough of the nutrients that allow metabolism to burn brightly. When metabolism is low, you will continue to crave foods in an attempt to find physical energy. The high-starch, high-sugar foods that give quick energy ultimately further deplete the body of nutrients. The process becomes a vicious cycle.
If you need to lose weight, My Super Fast Dietis not only fast, it is also extremely healthy. You’ve been told that fast weight loss is unhealthy, but that’s a Big Fat Lie. When done correctly, fast weight loss can be incredibly healthy, both emotionally and physically.
Of course, if you have other physical imbalances such as low thyroid function or a sluggish liver, these must be addressed to ensure success. Some people can use herbs to increase metabolism, but these can cause problems in people with high blood pressure and so should be used judiciously with medical guidance.
“Miracle cures” for overweight are non-existent, although matching the right diet and supplement program to the individual can achieve what often appears “miraculous.” Supplements such as the mineral chromium have been found to be indispensable when a person is chromium deficient, but have little effect when someone isn’t deficient. HCA (Hydroxycitric Acid) results in some modest increases in overall weight loss, but the results of this are weak at best. There is no “magic formula,” but again, the results can seem like magic when we custom-tailor the program to an individual.
Exercise is an important factor in weight loss, not only for its calorie-burning benefit but also because it increases metabolism. A muscular person at rest burns more calories than a fat person at rest. Exercises also decreases appetite and increases “feel good” hormone levels. This serves as a natural appetite suppressant and anti-depressant. Most people who are successful with weight loss and long-term maintenance rely on exercise as an important part of their program. As you’ll learn in The Super Fast Diet, it only takes 10-15 minutes per day of correctly performed exercise to accomplish major metabolic and weight-loss improvements.
In spite of the fact that reported long-term attempts at weight loss have a high failure rate, the number of “successful losers” in my practice is quite high. And these people have not only lost excess weight, many of them have corrected their diabetes, normalized their blood pressure, reversed their heart disease, eliminated their arthritis and avoided a whole host of future problems that overweight and obesity can cause.
If you are sincere in your desire to achieve and maintain a normal weight, and do so in the most healthful, easiest way, I can show you how. Not by any “cookie cutter” diet, but by an individualized program that I guarantee will work for you if you will follow it. (And I’m not talking about following starvation diets or eating bland, strange food. You will like the way you can eat). If your self-help measures and “other diets” have failed, give me a call to schedule a telephone consult. I can help you lose weight easily, healthfully, and once-and-for all.
Diet And Lifestyle Recommendations
- Have a complete physical exam, including blood work, if you have not had one in the past year. it is a good idea to know your “starting place” as you begin your program. If you are over 40, are more than 50 pounds overweight, or have a history of heart disease, be sure that this includes and EKG.
- Exercise regularly, preferably daily. Begin with 15 minutes per day of walking if you are more than 50 pounds overweight or are not used to exercising. The “Super Fast” exercise program as outlined in The Super Fast Diet will show you how to get maximal benefit in minimal time.
- Drink 48 ounces of pure water daily. The blood becomes more acidic as you break down fat; water helps to keep this dilute and puts less stress on the kidneys.
- Watch my “Body/Mind Connection” video at least 3 times. This tape will teach you how to use your thoughts to program yourself for success. It will also show you where and how you may be currently blocking your progress, and how to change that.
- Maxi Multi Overweight people have at least one, and usually many more, nutrient deficiencies. Plus, dieting itself can contribute to deficiencies. Make sure that you take an optimal potency multiple formula, not a minimal potency formula.
- Multi-B-Complex: 1 cap, 2 times per day with meals (If you are taking Maxi Multis for your multiple, the extra B Complex vitamins are not necessary).
- CoQ10: 50mg, 1-3 times per day with meals
- Hypericum (St. John’s Wort): 1 cap (450mg), 2 times per day between meals
- 5-Hydroxy-Tryptophan (5-HTP): 1 cap, 3 times per day with meals
- L-Carnitine: 500-1,000mg, 2-3 times per day with meals
- Treat any other organ system that scored “high” on the Self-Health Questionnaire
With high cholesterol:
- Lipotropic complex: 1-2 caps, 3 times per day with meals.
With low thyroid function:
- Thyroid Cytotropin: 1-3 tabs per day or as directed.
With low adrenal function:
Dr. Myatt’s Comment
Weight loss success is not difficult, it’s just a matter of knowing the correct thing to do. Your health will benefit greatly from achievement of a normal weight.
Boost Immunity with Nature’s Superior Protein
Whey protein provides a biologically superior protein with natural immune factors, including lactoferrin and immunoglobulins.
In cancer medicine, whey has been found to offer “considerable protection to the host” over that of other types of protein, including soy, especially during chemotherapy and radiation. At low concentrations, whey inhibits the growth of breast cell cancer. Whey also protects cellular glutathione (a body-produced antioxidant) in normal cells during radiation therapy. This effect is not seen with other proteins.
For those with weak immune systems, or people who need to gain weight, whey is an easy way to get high quality protein and immune factors. For those on weight-loss diets, whey (such as a “Super Shake” below), makes a low calorie, low carb, high nutrient meal replacement. Try my recipe — it really tastes like an ice-cream milkshake!
Whey protein is beneficial for:
- weight loss programs
- weight and muscle gain programs
- immune function
- liver disease
1 scoop chocolate whey
8 ounces hot water
1 scoop L-glutamine
(optional, for weight gain or GI repair)
Heat water. Stir in whey powder. Drink. Enjoy.
Apple Pan Dowdy Pudding
2 scoops vanilla whey
2 tsps. Ez-Fiber
2 tsps. ground flax seed
1 scoop L-glutamine
1/8 cup chopped nuts
1 chopped apple
Combine above ingredients. Add 8 ounces hot water. Stir. Put in cups. Enjoy hot or cold. Makes 2 servings.
This Whey Powder Is A Great Combination Of High Quality And Economical Price.
Sustained-Release Protein Blend
Undenatured Whey Protein, Micellar Casein & Egg Albumin
Vital Nutrition for Health & Recovery
Best Tasting Protein…Guaranteed
Perfect For Low Carb Dieters!
Syntrax Vanilla Whey
Serving Size: 1 Level Scoop (30 g)
Servings per Container: 30
Amount Per Serving% Daily Value
Calories from Fat15
Total Fat1.5 g2%
Saturated Fat1 g5%
Trans Fat0 g
Total Carbohydrates2 g1%
Dietary Fiber0 g0%
Important Amino Acids Per 100 Grams of Protein
*Daily value not established.
Other Ingredients: Protein blend (whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, egg albumin, hydrolyzed wheat gluten), natural and artificial flavors, soy lecithin, salt, acesulfame-K, sucralose.
Syntrax Chocolate Whey
Serving Size: 1 Level Scoop (32 g)
Servings per Container: 31
Amount Per Serving% Daily Value
Calories from Fat20
Total Fat2 g3%
Saturated Fat1 g5%
Trans Fat0 g
Total Carbohydrates3 g1%
Dietary Fiber1 g4%
Important Amino Acids Per 100 Grams of Protein
*Daily value not established.
Other Ingredients: Protein blend (whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, egg albumin, hydrolyzed wheat gluten), dutch processed cocoa powder, natural and artificial flavors, soy lecithin, salt, acesulfame-K, sucralose.
Natural Support For Healthy Hormone Balance
Although men and women are both susceptible to many of the same diseases, those areas of women’s health that pertain to the sex hormones and female sex organs can vary greatly from those of a man. Maintaining the correct balance of female sex hormones is one of the unique and most important aspect of women’s health.
Maintaining Hormone Balance
Normal weight is crucial to hormone balance. Fat cells manufacture estrogen. This can lead to an excess of estrogen in both men and women. Maintaining normal weight is important for balanced hormones. This is believed to be the reason that hormone-related cancers (breast, uterine, endometrial) are seen more frequently in overweight and obese women.
Although synthetic and horse-urine derived hormones have been the standard in conventional medicine for years, such forms of hormone replacement therapy are unsafe. Higher risk of heart disease and hormones-related cancers are the most worrisome side effects of conventional hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Most holistic physicians prefer to use natural HRT (nHRT), an alternative that actually reduces the risk of heart disease, hormone related cancers, osteoporosis and premature aging.
Natural hormone replacement therapy is conducted by first performing a female hormone profile. Such testing of the entire complement of female hormones including estriol, estrone, estradiol, progesterone, testosterone and DHEA is almost NEVER done in conventional medicine. Instead of using a “generic” prescription, the holistic physician can instead use the results of the female hormone profile to write a custom-tailored Rx. for each patient. These customized hormone prescriptions can be filled by a “compounding pharmacist,” meaning a pharmacist who specializes in making custom formulas.
Unlike convnetional HRT which uses high doses of estradiol and synthetic progesterone almost exclusively, nHRT typically encompasses all the sex hormones and in doses that attempt to duplicate the hormone pattern that a woman had in her younger years. This is a very different and much safer approach to hormone replacement therapy.
Short of consulting a physician, having a female hormone profile performed and getting a custom-tailored natural hormone prescription written, there are self-help measures that a woman can take to improve female hormone balance without hormone replacement.
Certain hormone-containing herbs have a balancing effect on the system. (See the following recommendations). It is HIGHLY INADVISABLE to take actual hormone supplements, even if they are sold without a prescription, without the advice and laboratory testing that a doctor can offer. Such hormones, available without prescription, include DHEA and progesterone. [NOTE: Many health food store brands of progesterone creams do not contain any hormone, and the body cannot convert wild yam (dioscorea) into progesterone, no matter how much the lady at the health food store argues otherwise! In natural medical circles, we call this “The Yam Scam”!]
Also remember that other non-hormone factors can create imbalances in the sex hormones. An excess or deficiency of thyroid hormone will change sex hormone levels, and no amount of sex hormone replacement will correct the problem until the thyroid function has been compensated for. Sluggish liver function has a major impact on hormone balance because the liver “processes” and converts sex hormones to forms that can be eliminated from the body.
Those seeking self-help measures should try the following approach to hormone balance. If symptoms persist (hot flashes, depression, loss of libido, skin aging, bone loss, elevated cholesterol or heart disease), then consultation with an holistic physician and determination of a customized natural hormone Rx. should be considered.
DIET AND LIFESTYLE RECOMMENDATIONS
- Diet: eat a diet high in nutrient-rich foods.
- Increase consumption of soy products (if tolerated).
- Achieve and maintain a normal weight.
- Don’t smoke! The climacteric (menopause) occurs sooner in people who smoke.
- Maxi Multi, 3 caps, 3 times per day with meals.
- MyPacks, one packet per day with a meal.
- Cal-Mag Amino: as needed to increase calcium intake to 1,500mg per day (post menopausal only). If taking Maxi Multi with a total of 1,000 mg per day of calcium, take an additional 3 capsules of Cal-Mag Amino daily.
- Easy Soy Gold: 1 tablet, once per day with breakfast. [Target dose: 100mg or more of soy isoflavones; 50-100mg or more of genisteins].
- Milk Thistle Plus+: 1 cap, 2 times per day with meals.
- Melatonin: 3mg at bedtime.
For Hot Flashes:
- Black Cohosh Plus+: 1-2 capsules, 3 times per day as needed. When symptoms improve, decrease the dose to the smallest amount needed to continue feeling well.
- Vitamin E: Take an additional 400IU per day extra with meals. (Maxi Multi contains 400IU per day). [Target dose: 800IU per day].
- DHEA: 25 mg with breakfast. Higher doses might be needed, but it is inadvisable to take higher than 25mg per day without first obtaining a female hormone profile. See “Dr. Myatt’s Comment” below.
- Hormone replacement creams or natural prescriptions as recommended by your holistic physician.
DR. MYATTS COMMENT: Hormone tests can take the guesswork out of hormone balancing and make correction surer and safer. If you do not see noticeable improvement in six to twelve weeks with self-help measures, consider consulting myself or another holistically-oriented physician. Youthful hormone balance is one of the best health and longevity measures you can take!
The Enzyme Activator
Zinc is a mineral that functions as a co-factor in numerous metabolic processes. In fact, zinc is a co-factor in over 200 enzymes in the body.
Zinc deficiency is associated with:
- prostate enlargement
- immune deficiency
- malabsorption syndromes
- slow wound healing
- loss of taste or smell
- impaired glucose tolerance
- skin disorders of every type
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- inflammatory bowel disease (IBS)
- abnormal menstruation
The adult daily dose range is from 15-50 mg.
Food sources include wheat germ, wheat bran, pumpkin seed, avocado, sea food.
Caution: Large doses (more than 50mg/day) can cause a copper deficiency & other mineral imbalances. Copper should be supplemented when using zinc in high doses.
Optimal daily amounts of Zinc are easily obtained from Dr. Myatt’s Maxi Multi – a comprehensive multiple vitamin and mineral nutrient formula. Click here for full information.
The “Other” Vitamin E
“Vitamin E” is actually a mixture of tocotrienols and tocopherols, two forms of the same vitamin. Like tocopherols (the “classic” vitamin E), tocotrienols are also potent antioxidants that protect against lipid peroxidation (the damaging of fats by free radicals).
Research has shown that although tocotrienols and tocopherols possess similar activity, they work slightly differently in the body. The very newest research shows that tocotrienols may be even more valuable to good health than the classic form of vitamin E, tocopherols.
Actions of tocotrienols:
- cholesterol-lowering properties not seen with regular vitamin E (tocopherols).
- Tocotrienols reduce AGEs (advanced glycosylated end-products),
- encourage healthy blood pressure levels and arterial health
- support normal blood sugar balance
- prevent fat oxidation
Both gamma- and delta-tocotrienols are powerful antioxidants working at the cells’ surface. Evidence indicates that tocotrienols are absorbed better than tocopherols.
The typical recommendation is 140 to 360 mg per day. Most studies have used 200 mg daily.
Contains: Tocotrienols 100 mg ( 90% Delta- Tocotrienols and 10% Gamma- Tocotrienols)
Other ingredients: Rice bran oil, gelatin, glycerin, water.
Suggested Dose: 1 or 2 softgels, one or two times daily or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.
1. Kamal-Eldin A, Appelqvist LA. The chemistry and antioxidant properties of tocopherols and tocotrienols. Lipids 1996;31:671–701 [review].
2. Kamat JP, Devasagayam TPA. Tocotrienols from palm oil as potent inhibitors of lipid peroxidation and protein oxidation in rat brain mitochondria. Neurosci Lett 1995;195:179–82.
3. Sen CK, Khanna S, Roy S. Tocotrienols: Vitamin E beyond tocopherols. Life Sci. 2006;78:2088-98.
4.) Schaffer S, Muller WE, and Eckert GP. Tocotrienols: constitutional effects in aging and disease. J Nutr. 2005;135:151-4.
5.) Theriault A, Chao JT, Wang Q, et al. Tocotrienol: a review of its therapeutic potential. Clin Biochem 1999;32:309–19 [review].
Natural Support For Healthy Blood Sugar Levels
Ultrachrome is a superior form of chromium (4-oxopyridine, 2,6-dicarboxlate) that has the greatest effect on adipose (fat) tissue and insulin levels. It is three times more potent than chromium picolinate.
Ultra Chrome 500
Each Capsule contains: 500 mcg chromium as Ultrachrome.
Suggested dose 1 Capsule per day.
Description- A Superior “senior” herb formula with ginkgo, hypericum & ginseng. High-potency liquid tincture. For depression, age-related memory changes, erectile dysfunction.
Contains: Ginkgo biloba, Hypericum, (St. John’s Wort) Eleutherococcus senticosis (Siberian ginseng).
Suggested dose 60-80 drops, 2-4 times per day. Must be used for at least 3 weeks before results become apparent.
Natural Support For This Embarrassing Problem
Inability to completely control the flow of urine is a common complaint, effecting up to twenty million Americans. Symptoms may range from a mild inability to hold urine when coughing or laughing to inability to hold urine at any time. The condition occurs in both men and women, although women and elderly people are more commonly afflicted.
Causes of urinary incontinence include weak pelvic floor muscle tone, weak urethral (bladder) muscle tone, medication side-effects, nerve damage, food allergy, urinary tract irritation (from drugs, foods, bacteria, viruses, fungi), imbalanced pH, and increased intestinal permeability. Some of the drugs used to treat incontinence have dangerous side-effects and should be avoided if at all possible. Self-help measures prove highly valuable.
Diet And Lifestyle Recommendations
- Finish daily water intake by 5 p.m. (This helps decrease nighttime urination). DO NOT, however, decrease daily water intake. Drink 64 ounces of pure water daily. Dehydration predisposes to urinary tract infections.
- Eliminate known food allergens (which can irritate the urinary tract and cause increased frequency).
- Check with your physician or pharmacist about any medications you are taking. Some can cause incontinence.
- Achieve and maintain a normal weight. Excess weight pushes down on the bladder and compromises muscular ability.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol, all of which increase urination.
- Practice KEGEL exercises: tighten muscles to stop the flow while urinating. Feel the muscles at work? Tense these muscles during the day, hold as tightly as possible for a count of 10, relax. Repeat up to 20 times per day. (Do these when you are NOT urinating. The first time is done just to “feel” which muscles are at work). You can do this in a car, in line at the grocery store, etc. You will notice improvement beginning in 3 weeks.
- Maxi Multi: 3 caps, 3 times per day with meals. Optimal (not minimal) doses of antioxidants (A,C,E,beta carotene, selenium), are particularly important in treating urinary incontinence.
- Saw Palmetto: 1 cap, 2 times per day between meals. [Target dose: 240mg per day]. Although best known for male prostate gland enlargement, this herb is useful in both men and women to tone the urinary bladder sphincter muscle. It also has a positive effect on male and female libido.
- Consider having a male or female a href=”http://184.108.40.206/product/compplus-hormone-profile-with-2-16-eq/”>hormone profile performed. Decreased sex hormones are associated with a laxity of the bladder sphincter muscles. Natural hormone replacement therapy can be very helpful in this condition.
Dr. Myatt’s Comment
The above-listed measures, especially weight loss (if overweight), Kegel exercises, saw palmetto and hormone balancing really do work to correct urinary incontinence, even in very old people. Start those Kegel’s without delay or excuses and you can get rid of the adult diapers!