Natural Treatment for Brown Skin Discolorations.
“Liver spots,” also called “age spots,” are caused by an accumulation of cellular debris. This debris, called lipofuscin (ly-poh-fusk-in), accumulates in many areas of the body, including the heart, nerves, muscles, kidney and brain. The skin is the place where we can see the accumulation.
Lipofuscin is caused by free radical damage to cells. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals and help prevent lipofuscin deposits, or liver spots.
The way to prevent and to a significant extent reverse liver spots is to
1.) Minimize exposure to sources of free radicals, including smoking, alcohol, fried and processed foods, trans fats, X-rays.
2.) Consume a generous dose of dietary antioxidants.
3.) Protect skin from excess UV (sunlight) exposure and use antioxidants in topical form as well. Although natural vitamin D from sunlight exposure is healthy, high levels of unprotected UV exposure on face, hands and chest can contribute to age spots in these areas.
Diet And Lifestyle Recommendations
- Include foods that are rich in antioxidant nutrients in your diet.
- Drink 8 glasses of pure water daily.
- Minimize your exposure to sources of free radicals (smoking, alcohol, fried foods, X-rays).
- Practice moderation of sun exposure: wear sunscreen on high-exposure areas like face, hands and chest.
- Maxi Multi: 3 caps, 3 times per day with meals. This daily “multiple” contains high potency antioxidants.
- Maxi Greens: 3 caps, 3 times per day with meals. This broad-spectrum blend of plant antioxidants and flavonoids provides additional protection from free radical damage.
- Rejuvenex™ Cream: Apply morning and at bedtime to clean skin (face).
- Grape seed extract (PCO’s): 100 mg, 1- 3 times per day with meals. Grape seed acts as both a potent antioxidant AND it stabilizes collagen fibers, the underlying support structure of skin. This double benefit may include improvement and prevention of age spots and additional protection from wrinkles.
- Milk Thistle Plus: 1 cap, 3 times per day with meals. Improving liver function can help the body “reclaim” lipofuscin, thereby fading age spots and preventing new ones.
For Already-Damaged Skin
- Sunspot Gel (formerly Skin Answer®) : Apply to already-existing sun-spots, especially if they are raised. Use as directed.