32 Million American suffer from IBS
(Irritable Bowel Syndrome).
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a motility disorder of the upper and lower GI tract. Symptoms include some combination of constipation, diarrhea, or alternating constipation and diarrhea, flatulence, colic (gas pains) relieved by bowel movement, abdominal distention after eating, and mucous in stools.
The cause of IBS is unclear, since no anatomical lesion can be found. Contributing factors may include food allergy, altered bowel microflora, intestinal parasites, lack of dietary fiber, and lack of digestive enzymes. Highly refined Western diets are implicated. Psychological factors often play a role.
Protocol for treating IBS
DIET AND LIFESTYLE RECOMMENDATIONS
- Include fiber-rich food in the diet (vegetables, fruits and whole grains). Be aware that a percentage of people with IBS are sensitive to gluten, which includes wheat, oats, rye, and barley.
- Chew food thoroughly. Do not eat when rushed or under strain. (This impairs digestion).
- Evaluate for food allergies and avoid aggravating foods. (See “Food Allergy," page 61 in your Holistic Health Handbook. Don’t have a Handbook? Click here, and order yours now.)
- Avoid GI-irritant foods: caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, white sugar, white flour, fatty foods.
- Drink 64 ounces per day of pure water. Dehydration contributes to constipation and altered bowel flora which can trigger the cycle of IBS.
- Practice relaxation techniques if stress seems to aggravate the condition.
- Regular exercise, especially walking, helps normalize bowel function.
- BASIC PROGRAM: Maxi Multi, 3 caps, 3 times per day with meals. (Or equivalent optimal potency multiple vitamin/mineral formula to include A,C,E, beta carotene, folic acid, B12 and zinc, all of which are especially important in correcting IBS).
- Omega-3 fatty Acids: [Function: Anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic]
- Fiber: [Function: detoxifies the bowel; adds bulk; holds water and fat to help form stool]
- Chitosan: 3 caps, 3 times per day between meals (especially if fatty foods aggravate)
- OR Keto Fiber: 1-2 teaspoons per day before or between meals (especially if constipation is a predominant symptom.)
- OR Fiber Formula: 3-6 capsules, 1-3 times per day.
- Similase: (digestive enzyme formula): [Function: improves digestion and assimilation of nutrients]1-2 caps, 3 times per day with meals. Take an additional 1 cap with between-meal snacks.
- SupremaDophylus (high potency “good” gut bacteria): [Function: replaces normal GI tract bacteria] 1 capsule at bedtime.
- L-glutamine: [Function: speeds healing of GI tract; improves immunity; decreases sugar and alcohol cravings] 1 teaspoon, 1 to 3 times per day in water or cold beverage.
- Mentharil (enteric-coated peppermint): [Function: anti-spasmodic]. 1-2 caps, 2 times per day between meals.
- Activated Charcoal [Function: detoxificant; absorbed irritants and binds fluids. Especially useful for diarrhea of all types, including food poisoning]. Dose: 4-6 caps, 2-4 times per day as needed.
Dr. Myatt’s Comment: It may take a bit of time and exploration to discover the cause of IBS, but patients tell me it is well worth the effort to relieve the problem. Refer to the complete bowel retraining program titled Healthy Colon Priority Protocol, page 9 in your Holistic Health Handbook. If self-help measures fail to bring permanent relief, I recommend a consultation with me or another holistic physician for assistance.