Natural Support For This Distressing Condition
Erectile dysfunction (ED), also called impotence, is the inability to achieve and maintain an erection. The cause may be psychogenic (mental/emotional) or physical. More than 90% of the cases are due to physical causes. In men over age 50, a leading cause of impotence is due to atherosclerosis. Many medications can cause loss of erectile ability.
DIET AND LIFESTYLE RECOMMENDATIONS
- Exercise regularly. Exercise improves blood flow.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking reduces blood flow to the penis by constricting arteries.
- Avoid excess alcohol. Alcohol alters hormone balance in males, tending to increase estrogens.
- Maxi Multi: 3 caps, 3 times per day with meals. Optimal (not minimal) doses of vitamins A, E, B6, and zinc are particularly important for correcting ERD.
- Omega 3 fatty acids:
Flax seed meal, 2 teaspoons per day with food
Flax seed capsules: 2-4 caps, 3 times per day (target dose range: 6-12 caps per day)
Flax seed oil: 1 tablespoon per day
Max EPA (Omega-3 rich fish oil): 1-2 caps, 3 times per day with meals (target dose: 3-6 caps per day).
With arteriole insufficiency (decreased blood supply)
- Ginkgo: 1 cap, 3 times daily
With decreased libido
- If cholesterol is high: see recommendations for High Cholesterol.
- If diabetic; see recommendations for Diabetes.
- Support any organ system that scored high on the self-appraisal questionnaire found on pages 6-8 in your Holistic Health Handbook.
A cardiovascular evaluation should be performed as part of a complete physical examination. A male hormone profile should be performed so that imbalances can be corrected. Consultation with an alternative medicine physician is highly advisable, since ED is both a health problem AND reflects underlying additional health imbalances.