Natural Support For This Dietary Imbalance
Hypoglycemia results when there is an abnormally low level of sugar (glucose) in the blood. This condition is often caused by an excess secretion of insulin from the pancreas. Symptoms of hypoglycemia can mimic many other conditions. Any or all of the following can be experienced during a hypoglycemic episode: weakness, heart palpitations, anxiety, dizziness, headache, depression, weakness in the legs, tightness in the chest, numbness and/or tingling of body parts, insomnia, confusion, craving for sweets or starches, and nervous habits. Poor adrenal function and abnormal carbohydrate metabolism often occur with hypoglycemia.
Although heredity can play a role, the most common cause of hypoglycemia is dietary imbalance. Nutritional deficiencies compound the problem. A diet that is high in refined carbohydrates will aggravate or even cause hypoglycemia. Paradoxically, these foods will give temporary relief of symptoms during a low blood sugar “episode” and are therefore often eaten by hypoglycemics.
DIET AND LIFESTYLE RECOMMENDATIONS
- Eat only unrefined (complex) carbohydrates. Avoid all processed grains and sugars (except fresh fruit) The Super Fast Diet is EXCELLENT for hypoglycemics.
- Always eat breakfast and include protein with this meal. (Eggs, tofu, Super Pro ‘96, whey powder, etc.)
- Do not use coffee, tobacco, alcohol, or sugar.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise stabilizes blood sugar levels.
- Practice stress reduction techniques: meditation, prayer, biofeedback, deep breathing. Stress releases excess adrenalin which lowers blood sugar levels.
- Maxi Multi: 3 caps, 3 times per day with meals. Optimal (not minimal) doses of antioxidants (ACES), magnesium, B complex vitamins, and chromium are particularly important for correcting hypoglycemia.
- Ultra-Chrome (chromium 4-oxopyridine, 2,6 dicarboxylate): 200-500mg daily in addition to multiple vitamin/mineral dose. (This form of chromium is 3 times more potent than chromium picolinate!)
- Fiber: Maxi Fiber: 1 teaspoon, 3 times per day 10 minutes before meals, OR Fiber Formula: 4-6 caps, 3 times per day before or during meals.
- Multi-B-Complex: 1 cap, 2 times per day with meals IF you are not taking the Optimal Doses of B vitamins contained in Maxi Multi.
• Support any organ system that scored “high” on the Self-Health Questionnaire, pages 6-8 in your Holistic Health Handbook.