IMPOTENCE (ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION, ED)
Natural Support For This Distressing Condition
Erectile dysfunction (ED), also called impotence, is the inability to achieve and maintain an erection. The cause may be psychogenic (mental/emotional) or physical. More than 90% of the cases are due to physical causes. In men over age 50, a leading cause of impotence is due to atherosclerosis. Many medications can cause loss of erectile ability.
DIET AND LIFESTYLE RECOMMENDATIONS
- Exercise regularly. Exercise improves blood flow.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking reduces blood flow to the penis by constricting arteries.
- Avoid excess alcohol. Alcohol alters hormone balance in males, tending to increase estrogens.
- Maxi Multi: 3 caps, 3 times per day with meals. Optimal (not minimal) doses of vitamins A, E, B6, and zinc are particularly important for correcting ERD.
- Omega 3 fatty acids:
Flax seed meal, 2 teaspoons per day with food
Flax seed capsules: 2-4 caps, 3 times per day (target dose range: 6-12 caps per day)
Flax seed oil: 1 tablespoon per day
Max EPA (Omega-3 rich fish oil): 1-2 caps, 3 times per day with meals (target dose: 3-6 caps per day).
With arteriole insufficiency (decreased blood supply)
With decreased libido
- If cholesterol is high: see recommendations for High Cholesterol.
- If diabetic; see recommendations for Diabetes.
- Support any organ system that scored high on the self-appraisal questionnaire found on pages 6-8 in your Holistic Health Handbook.
A cardiovascular evaluation should be performed as part of a complete physical examination. A male hormone profile should be performed so that imbalances can be corrected. Consultation with an alternative medicine physician is highly advisable, since ED is both a health problem AND reflects underlying additional health imbalances.