Dr. Myatt's Super-Shake
Why You Should be Drinking My "Super Shake"
Ever wish that something which tasted like a yummy treat was also good for you? Have I got great news for you! I have found myself giving individual patients the recipe for what I call my "Super Shake" so frequently in the past few weeks that I realized it's high time for me to encourage everybody to drink this incredibly tasty, amazingly healthy "milkshake." Before I discuss the recipe and what the individual ingredients will do for you, let's take a look at the overall health benefits of The Myatt Super Shake.
What My "Super Shake" Will Do for You
Taken at least once, and better yet twice per day, this tasty treat provides a basket full of health benefits. I'll describe the "whys" and "wherefores" of individual ingredients below so you can see how my Super Shake works it's "magic," but first let's look at all the good this amazing recipe accomplishes. I believe you'll see why I recommend it so often in my practice.
- If you are overweight, the Super Shake will help you lose.
- If you are underweight, the Super Shake will help you gain.
- The Super Shake helps preserve and build better muscle tone.
- The Super Shake strengthens the immune system.
- The Super Shake helps normalize blood sugar levels, so it improves both diabetes and low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).
- Ingredients in The Super Shake help lower cholesterol levels.
- Whey and gelatin in the Super Shake strengthen ligaments, tendons, and bones.
- Antioxidants and protein contained in my Super Shake help renew, rejuvenate and heal skin.
- EZ Fiber and L-glutamine help normalize bowel function and correct constipation, diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome.
- The Super Shake is high in flavonoids, especially the kind useful for preventing or halting eye diseases such as macular degeneration, cataracts, and
- These same flavonoids plus other ingredients work together to prevent and reverse varicose veins, atherosclerosis, neuropathy and neuralgia (nerve disease and nerve pain).
- Whey and L-glutamine help protect normal cells during radiation and chemotherapy.
- My Super Shake is so easily assimilated and so healthy that it is THE beverage of choice when recovering from illness or surgery. Whey is known to speed wound healing.
Best of all, this is a truly delicious drink, not a "choke-it-down" health concoction. Sound too good to be true? Here's the recipe and an individual breakdown of the numerous benefits of each of the ingredients.
Dr. Myatt's Super Shake Recipe
1 scoop vanilla whey protein (with both whey protein concentrate and isolate)
1 Tablespoon EZ Fiber
1 TBS. flax oil
1 scoop Red Alert
1 TBS. frozen blueberries
1 teaspoon L-glutamine
1 cup crushed ice
1 cup water (1 cup for a soft-serve ice cream consistency, 2 cups for a milkshake)
Add 1 cup ice (crushed is best) to the bottom of an electric blender. Add water. Add blueberries and all dry ingredients. Blend until smooth. This will be the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. If you want it to be a "shake," add an additional cup of water AFTER the first ingredients are well-blended. Drink or eat and Enjoy! You're going to love this and so will your body!
Featured Supplements: What's in the "Super Shake" that Makes it So Great? Let's take a look at the individual ingredients and see why this Shake is a "Miracle Food."
Whey Protein: When processed correctly (to retain whole protein concentrate and at low temperatures to preserve immune factors), whey supplies a biologically superior protein with natural immune factors, including lactoferrin and immunoglobulins. Milk-derived whey protein has been shown to:
- boost immune function
- improve liver function
- bind and safely remove heavy metals
- speeds wound healing
- aid muscle growth. (Body builders have long known about the muscle-building benefits of whey).
- promote healing of bones, skin, and muscle
- heal cartilage and strengthen joints, tendons and cardiac muscle.
In cancer medicine it has been found that whey offers "considerable protection to the host" over that of other types of protein including soy, especially during chemotherapy and radiation. At low concentrations, whey inhibits the growth of breast cancer cells. Whey also protects cellular glutathione (a body-produced antioxidant) in normal cells during radiation. This effect is not seen with other proteins.
Because the milk-sugar portion is removed, whey is suitable for people who are lactose intolerant. The Super Shake made with whey provides a high quality protein, high nutrient, low carb meal replacement or between-meal snack.
NOTE: NOT ALL WHEY PROTEINS ARE CREATED EQUAL! Many whey powders contain the "isolate" form only, but many of the immune benefits of whey are found in the Whole Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC). Our Wellness Club brand of whey is specially processed to preserve all of these important nutritive factors.
Flax Seed Oil: You've heard me wax eloquent numerous times about the importance and benefit of Omega-3 fatty acids (Flax and fish oil are the primary sources). The American diet is grossly deficient in Omega-3 fatty acids (Which are Essential Fatty Acids, or EFA's). Deficiencies of Omega-3 fatty acids contribute to subtle body-wide inflammation which in turn is associated with over 60 known diseases including heart disease, stroke, arthritis, allergies, asthma, cancer, overweight and obesity, autoimmune disease, neurological disease, psoriasis, eczema, high blood pressure to name only a few. Daily supplementation of Omega-3 fatty acids, derived primarily from flax and/or fish oil (salmon is a rich source) are one of the healthiest things a person can do to prevent these many EFA-deficiency associated diseases. The essential fats are SO important that the Government officially recommended in 2003 that Americans get more Omega-3 fatty acids in their diet.
L-Glutamine: This amino acid is a major component of muscle tissue. It is also a major source of energy for cells of the GI tract. It stimulates the production of Growth Hormone (GH) and decreases sugar and alcohol cravings.
Athletes use Glutamine to help build muscle (anabolic), but it can also be used by non-athletes, even the frail elderly, to help prevent muscle tissue breakdown. It is useful for rejuvenating the lining of the GI tract and can therefore assist in healing after GI surgery and in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Glutamine stimulates the immune system and should be used when recovering from any surgery or illness. In weight loss, it is useful for reducing alcohol and sugar cravings. Because it crosses the blood-brain barrier and acts as a ready supply of energy for the brain, it is also used in Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD).
EZ Fiber A delicious mild berry flavor fiber complex of Brans, Gums, Mucilage, Cellulose, Hemicellulose and Pectins. Each level teaspoon provides 7 grams of fiber and 7 grams of carbs. (Zero grams effective carbs). Mixes easily, does NOT go "gummy" and tastes great. Fiber is known to:
- Bind intestinal toxins and soften and bulk stools
- Lower cholesterol
- Helps correct constipation and diarrhea
- Helps remove heavy metals and toxins
- Clears out excess bowel mucous and alleviates gas
- Deodorizes and cleans the digestive tract
- Helps heal and soothe the G.I. tract
Blueberry: (and its cousin bilberry which can be taken in capsule form if preferred) is an herb which acts as a potent antioxidant and serves to strengthen and stabilize veins. It is used for: Atherosclerosis, cataracts, diabetes mellitus, neuropathy and neuralgia, retinopathy, varicose veins, and macular degeneration. Bilberry has a special affinity for the eyes and veins. It also improves skin tone because of its antioxidant and capillary-strengthening properties.
BOTTOM LINE on My Super-Shakes: Why not have at least one, and better yet two, of these wonderful health-enhancing drinks per day for one month and give yourself the opportunity to experience a great number of health benefits in one tasty glass? And DO drop me a line and tell me of your experiences. I get "fan mail" for the Shakes on a daily basis and I'd like to hear yours!