Natural Support For This Common And Troublesome Condition
Back pain is second only to headache as the most common presenting complaint to a family practice physician. If the back pain is sudden in onset, persists for more than two weeks, or results in loss of bowel or bladder control, see a physician immediately. A herniated disc can cause such pain. (Although most “sudden onset” back complaints are due only to muscle stress).
Most back pain is due to mild deterioration of the bones in the lower back, loss of joint material, simple dehydration, arthritis, mineral imbalances, weak muscle tone, and high stress levels. Most cases of low back pain can be cured through self-help measures.
Diet And Lifestyle Recommendations
- Drink a minimum of 64 ounces of pure water daily. Simple dehydration can cause disc material to weaken.
- Maintain a normal weight. Excess weight places a great stress on the lumbar spine.
- Low back and abdominal exercises help stretch and strengthen supporting structures. (See below). These take less than 10 minutes per day but are priceless for correcting low back pain.
- A diet high in vegetables and/or fruits helps strengthen supporting ligaments and tendons. Add one tablespoon of gelatin per day to your daily diet.
- Practice stress reduction techniques such as meditation. Stress is now known to be a major factor in the development and maintenance of low back pain by causing abnormal muscle tension.
- Maxi Multi: 3 caps, 3 times per day with meals. Optimal doses (not minimal doses) of Vitamins C, E, zinc, selenium, calcium, magnesium, boron and bioflavonoids are especially important.
- Bromelain: 2 caps, 3-4 times per day between meals. Bromelain acts as a natural anti-inflammatory agent.
For arthritis or degenerative disc disease:
- Glucosamine Sulfate (Pharmaceutical grade): 2 caps (750mg each), 2 times per day for 4 weeks, then 1 cap, 2 times per day thereafter. (Target dose: 3,000mg for 4 weeks, then 1,500 per day thereafter).
- MSM (Fundamental sulphur): 1,000mg, 3 times per day with meals.
- Cal-Mag: 1 cap, 3 times per day with meals in addition to the 1,000:500mg contained in Maxi Multi. If you are using another multiple formula, make sure to get 1,200-1,500mg of calcium and 500-750mg of magnesium daily total.
- COX-2-Support: a powerful combination of anti-inflammatory herbs. Can be used in addition to bromelain for extra pain relief.
Low Back Exercises
1.) Pelvic tilt. Tilt small of back toward floor. Tighten butt muscles and lift hips. Hold for count of 10. Repeat 5-20 times.
2.) Knee pull-ups. Pull knee to forehead with both hands. Raise head off floor to meet knee. Return slowly to start. Alternate sides. Repeat 5-10.
3.) Low back stretch. Bring one knee as close to chest as possible. Return to start. Alternate sides. Repeat 5-10 times each side.
4.) Curl-ups. Raise trunk toward bent knees. Hold for 10 seconds. return to start. Repeat 5-20 times.
5.) Straight leg raise. Lift leg, heel toward sky. Stretch. return to start. Alternate legs, 5-10 each.