Protect Your Liver from Toxicity
Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) has been the subject of over 100 clinical trials, primarily exploring its role in liver disease. It powerfully protects the liver from the effects of environmental toxins (such as carbon tetrachloride, acetaminophen, iron overload, mushroom poisoning). Milk thistle is used in Emergency Room medicine in Europe to treat exposure to liver-toxic agents.
Milk thistle is a powerful antioxidant, especially to the liver. Milk thistle is useful for:
- liver cell regeneration
- liver disease (including alcoholic liver sclerosis, hepatitis, gallbladder stones, liver cancer)
- protection from environmental toxins including the liver-toxic effects of many drugs
- increasing bile solubility
Milk Thistle Plus+
Wellness Club’s proprietary brand of milk thistle combines the additional liver-protecting effects of turmeric and artichoke.
Suggested dose: 1-2 capsules, 2-3 times per day or as directed. Higher doses are indicated in already-established liver disease or inflammation.
Each One (1) Capsule contains:
Milk Thistle seed extract, 175 mg
(Standardized to 80% [140mg] Silymarin)
Turmeric root extract, 50 mg
(Standardized to 95% [48mg] curcumin)
Artichoke leaf extract, 20 mg
(Standardized to 2% [0.4 mg] cynarin)
Product # 130 – Milk Thistle Plus+ (60 Caps) $15.95
- Brandon-Warner E, Sugg JA, Schrum LW, McKillop IH. Silibinin inhibits ethanol metabolism and ethanol-dependent cell proliferation in an in vitro model of hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Lett. 2010 May 1;291(1):120-9. Epub 2009 Nov 8.
- Chen CH, Huang TS, Wong CH, Hong CL, Tsai YH, Liang CC, Lu FJ, Chang WH. Synergistic anti-cancer effect of baicalein and silymarin on human hepatoma HepG2 Cells. Food Chem Toxicol. 2009 Mar;47(3):638-44. Epub 2008 Dec 25.
- Cheung CW, Gibbons N, Johnson DW, Nicol DL. Silibinin–a promising new treatment for cancer. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2010 Mar;10(3):186-95.
- Comelli MC, Mengs U, Schneider C, Prosdocimi M. Toward the definition of the mechanism of action of silymarin: activities related to cellular protection from toxic damage induced by chemotherapy. Integr Cancer Ther. 2007 Jun;6(2):120-9.
- Momeny M, Khorramizadeh MR, Ghaffari SH, Yousefi M, Yekaninejad MS, Esmaeili R, Jahanshiri Z, Nooridaloii MR. Effects of silibinin on cell growth and invasive properties of a human hepatocellular carcinoma cell line, HepG-2, through inhibition of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 phosphorylation. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008 Sep 4;591(1-3):13-20. Epub 2008 Jun 7.
- Post-White J, Ladas EJ, Kelly KM. Advances in the use of milk thistle (Silybum marianum). Integr Cancer Ther. 2007 Jun;6(2):104-9.
- Ramakrishnan G, Lo Muzio L, Elinos-Báez CM, Jagan S, Augustine TA, Kamaraj S, Anandakumar P, Devaki T. Silymarin inhibited proliferation and induced apoptosis in hepatic cancer cells. Cell Prolif. 2009 Apr;42(2):229-40.
- Ramasamy K, Agarwal R. Multitargeted therapy of cancer by silymarin. Cancer Lett. 2008 Oct 8;269(2):352-62. Epub 2008 May 9. Cancer Lett. 2008 Oct 8;269(2):352-62. Epub 2008 May 9.